Our 2021 Facebook Wildlife Photo Competition finalists have been selected! It was a very tough decision for our judges to choose the finalists from the 579 photographs submitted by guests between 1 May 2020 and 30 April 2021.
We have been amazed at the talent of our Kariega safari guests who uploaded their favourite wildlife photographs to our Facebook page over the past twelve months. An entire year of magical wildlife photos through the lenses of our guests leaves one feeling awed at the incredible beauty of a Kariega safari.
We are particularly grateful to guests for delving into their photo archives and submitting their favourite wildlife photos from their past Kariega safaris. Due to COVID-19 we closed on 27 March 2020 and could only partially re-open from 1 September 2020. We have loved keeping connected with guests through our digital channels.
We have really appreciated the effort made by guests during this challenging time. Thank you to everyone for submitting your photos. We remain delighted by our annual Facebook wildlife photo competition.
2021 Facebook Wildlife Photo Competition Statistics
Here are some statistics from the 2021 Facebook wildlife photo competition.
- We received 579 photo entries during the twelve months.
- We have been delighted by guests photos in this competition for the past decade!
- The first competition entries were in June 2011.
- The three most popular subjects were elephants (143 entries), lion (122 entries) and giraffe (80 entries).
- We received the most entries in October 2020 (83 entries) followed by April 2021 (69 entries).
2021 Facebook Wildlife Photo Competition Categories
The Kariega Game Reserve 2021 Facebook Wildlife Photo Competition includes the following two categories and one winner will be selected for each:
- Best Wildlife Photo: The winner of this category is selected by the Kariega team, including talented wildlife photographer and guide Brendon Jennings, head guide and photographer Wayne Howarth and guide and videographer Reece Dodd.
- Audience Favourite Wildlife Photo. The winner of this category is selected by our Facebook community. We post the finalist's photographs in an album on the Kariega Facebook page and the photograph that receives the most likes from our awesome Facebook community will win the prize.
The winner of each of the categories receives a complimentary two night stay for two people at Ukhozi Lodge on a fully inclusive basis.
2021 Facebook Wildlife Photo Competition Finalists
The six 2021 wildlife photo competition finalists were taken by the following Kariega safari guests (in order starting from the lion cub image above): Clare Cheeseman, Sara Louise Herrington, Sarah Kehoe, Fabio Franciosa, Derick Moll and Louis Lotter. Congratulations!
While the judges set about selecting the 2021 winner you can have a look at the winning photographs from our previous competitions.
- 2020 Facebook Wildlife Photo Competition Winner & Audience Favourite Winner
- 2019 Facebook Photo Competition Winners & Audience Favourite Winner
- 2018 Wildlife Photo Competition Winner & Audience Favourite Winner
- 2017 Wildlife Photo Competition Winner & Audience Favourite Winner
- 2016 Wildlife Photo Competition Winner
- 2016 Wildlife Photo Competition Audience Favourite
- 2015 Wildlife Photo Competition Audience Favourite
- 2015 Wildlife Photo Competition Winner
- 2014 Wildlife Photo Competition Winner
- 2013 Wildlife Photo Competition Winner
Enter 2022 Facebook Photo Competition
If you didn't make the list of finalists in the 2021 Facebook wildlife photo competition and have some time on your hands, why not look through your Kariega safari photographs and enter your favourites into our 2022 Facebook Photo Competition? Your photographs can be from any visit to Kariega and do not have to be taken in the year of the competition.
Share your favourite wildlife photos from your Kariega safari on our Kariega Facebook page. Your photo will be entered into the competition. The closing date is 30 April 2022. The winners will receive a complimentary two night stay for two people at Ukhozi Lodge on a fully inclusive basis.